Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Why You Shouldn't Even Try To Be Perfect

Right after we moved to Colorado, I was in a thrift store (aka my happy place) and I found a 14 piece set of beautiful Pottery Barn dishes for next to nothing.  I don’t put these dishes in the cupboard. I stack them on a shelf because they are just too pretty to be in the dark.  They were in pristine condition when I got them, and that was about two years ago and a handful of dinner parties, kids helping put them away, unrecommended baths in the dishwasher, falls off the counter, etc.  You know what? I like them even more now, with the intermittent nicks and tiny cracks, a testimony to the good times we have in the kitchen.   

It is so easy to fall into the trap where we believe everything needs to be perfect.  But being perfect is impossible and that up-hill battle gets old fast.  I used to work myself to death exercising and watching every single calorie.  I would put on makeup and curl my hair even if I was just going to the grocery store.  Yeah, I looked great, but I was exhausted. And hungry!  Fast forward some fifteen years, and I have more pounds on me and miles behind me, a nice big c-section scar, and even a few gray hairs on my head.  Definitely not perfect, but I will take this real life over the monotony of perfection any day.   

Celebrate your scars, your imperfections, the bumps in the road that make the journey more exciting, the stories you can tell, the cracks in your favorite dishes.  Throw away the image of what you think your life should look like, and bask in the charm of the life you have.  Find the beauty. It is all around you.   

No comments:

Post a Comment