Monday, May 28, 2018

Why You Should Eat Local Favorites When You Travel

Whether you are in Paris, France or Asheville, North Carolina, when you travel you should always eat the local faire. I am in love with taking road trips, finding little restaurants, and ordering whatever the special is. I don’t always like the food. (Thank you Tropical Turkey Salad from a diner in Okemah, Oklahoma that shall remain nameless). While I didn’t like the mixture of mayonnaise, curry, turkey, and fruit, the waitress was the picture of Southern charm. 


Just like a trip is about the journey, not the destination, dining out is about the experience, not just the meal. Have you ever traveled with someone who only wants to eat at Olive Garden and McDonald’s? Takes the wind right out of my sails. When I started dating my husband, I fell in love with him and his taste in food. Until we had Subway obsessed children, he never took me to a generic restaurant, but he knew all the great, locally-owned eating places in the area. He is also a pro at finding hole-in-the-wall diners while we are traveling. There are a million reasons why I love him, but this is a big one. 


Next time you are on a road trip, pack some Pepto Bismol and take a chance on a local favorite. Nine times out of ten it will be out of this world, and the Pepto never has to leave your purse. In this day of technology, you can find restaurants online in the smallest of towns. Even Okemah, Oklahoma, if any of you want to go try that Tropical Turkey Salad. 


No comments:

Post a Comment